View Single Post
(#242 (permalink))
Old
mangostine (Offline)
New to JF

09-07-2009, 11:46 PM

Hello, I've just registered with the forum solely because of this thread.
I have read the posts in this forum. But there is a question I still have.

I am very interested in Japan. And no, it's not because of anime or manga; I barely read/watch that. I am just intrigued by its history, and okay, I admit, it's pop culture (but that's not the reason I want to visit Japan). I am also fascinated by its language; etc. However, I do understand that living there is quite an extreme statement, and I do realize that there are many downsides to living in Japan.

But before I go on, I must make it clear that I have never been to Japan. I've wanted to visit there ever since I was very young, but because my parents favor rather anti-Japanese views (we are Chinese), I have never had the chance to do so.

Everyone here says you need a "plan". Yes, I do plan on visiting in the near future, but I'm seriously confused as to what I should do after that (assuming I enjoyed my stay, if I didn't, well, then Japan is not for me.). Should I sign up for study abroad programs? How do I get about actually doing something there (like programs, or work?) I am learning the language currently but am no where near the fluency I'll need to reside there for more than a month.

Also, people say not to assume you will get a job just because you have a degree. I do not have this assumption, but I AM wondering how exactly getting a job works there. I'm assuming it depends greatly on a person's fluency in Japanese (obviously), but are there other things that they look at?

I know that because I've never actually been there or experienced life there that my view of Japan is very likely to be ... inaccurate. I do understand that there are downsides, but I'm still confused as to how everything works there in order for a person to "settle down".

I am not saying I'm going to live in Japan. I'm just merely curious as to how it will actually work.

Please comment, you will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mangostine : 09-07-2009 at 11:48 PM.