View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
PaulK (Offline)
New to JF

Am I wasting my time at 48 years old? - 09-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry to post such a negative and depressing message, but I am really down. I have posted questions on this forum before. From my humble experience doing so, I found there were a few kind souls who could, or tried to, emphasize with my language learning challenges; while on the other hand, there were those who obviously are very proficient (something which I don't begrudge them-good for them I say), but who could not understand why I was not able to comprehend a relatively simple reading passage.

I came to Japan in 1991 at the age of 30 for the JET Program. I am lived in Japan on and off for about 7 years. For the past 18 years I have studied 9mostly on my own) on and off, as well as audit an introductory course briefly while in grad school in 1998, and studied in some community classes at the local international center here in town. I have puchased over the years a plethora of books, and feel that I have made a genuine concerted effort to learn the language. A former tutor gave me an unofficial JLPT practice test and I passed level 3 (that was in 2001). Foreign friends usually recommend that I study with my Japanese wife; however, I have found it difficult. She cannot, through no fault of her own, provide me comprehensive explanations for grammatical problems I encounter. I usually get frustrated when she speaks at a normal speed, and end up just giving up. I really like her family but find I can add my 2 cents worth into daily conversation to be polite, but then am absolutely clueless to what they say in response.

I really need help.

Paul