View Single Post
(#224 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-18-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jron View Post
This is an awesome thread. Thanks! I got much information and many useful links off of it.

So I have a question about my personal case. I live in the US now but I am thinking about a change of like. I've been studying Japanese for 2 years now and I've been thinking of living there for a couple of years. I have been looking at IT jobs but was also wondering about the possibility of some kind of teaching position.

I am 51 years old and have a BA in Computer Science and 25 years working experience in the field of Software Engineering.

So some questions might be..
1. Will they even accept someone my age?
2. Would there be any specialty programs such as technical English (not sure what to call it). Or even directly teaching computer classes in English...

I know teaching won't pay near what I can make doing IT work but I am kinda sick of hard IT and could use a break from it for a while.

Thanks,
john
Your age is kind of a sticky issue. Age discrimination is not legal in most places, but it occurs in Japan. Once people get into a company here, they tend to stick with it. Those who leave their jobs in their 40's or 50's often find it impossible to get a similar job. Most end up in the service industries. English teaching is more flexible in this regard, mainly because the demand for teachers remains pretty strong.

There are IT jobs available in Japan, but many company's IT departments now tend to hire foreign workers from dispatch-type agencies, and the techs are typically from India.

There are a couple of requirements to getting a job in Japan.

The first is a 4 years or higher degree, which you have.

The second thing is a company which is willing to hire you and sponsor you.

And that's it. The application process with a Japanese company is pretty simple. You only need a one-page resume with a photograph. Resumes without photos are not considered acceptable.

If your resume gets picked out, you'll have to attend an interview. Dress well. This is even more important in Japan than it is in other countries. Be prepared to take a test of some type to show that you are competent at whatever it is you are applying for.

If you are hired, you will be given a contract (usually for 1 year) to sign. In addition to this contract will be a visa application and sponsorship form. You will need to fill out the application, sign the form, and include a couple passport photos. You will take this paperwork and send it in a package back to your new employer. You will also send your passport and your original college degree or certified transcripts in this package.

After awhile (the time varies), your diploma and passport will be returned to you, along with a certificate of eligibility. You will take your passport and COE to the nearest Japanese embassy and fill out another form to get your work visa. Leave the form, your passport, and COE. It should only take a few days for them to process the paperwork, and affix the visa in your passport.

Keep in mind that getting a job in Japan is not as simple as flying here and handing out copies of your resume. Part time work is not really an option as you need to meet sponsorship/income requirements in order to stay. Some people do fly here, and spend a couple of months job hunting. They often find work, but it's a difficult and expensive process, and as a tourist visa is only 90 days, and the hiring/sponsoring process takes time... you get the idea.