View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
731 (Offline)
New to JF

Angry Japan's record in history and Japanophilia - 09-27-2009, 03:02 AM

How do you people square your interest in Japanese culture with it's more sinister aspects? I'm talking about japanese racist chauvinism and a seeming lack of respect for human life. I was a typical japan fan in high school, learning the language etc., but I swore it off forever after talking to my great uncle, who fought the Japanese in the Pacific and learned to despise their fanaticism and vile cruelty. It sickens me that Japan escaped a fitting punishment for its crimes at the end of the second World War. Look at the medical researchers of unit 731, many of whom escaped any punishment. I hear there is one brazen enough to travel Japan talking about his atrocities.
There is also the new trend of historical revisionism in Japan that glosses over Japan's shameful record of rapes and massacres.
I learned to respect Japanese art and scientific achievements when iI was a Japanophile but eventually I felt like I was betraying my family and culture by continuing to spend more time learning about this essentially depraved nation than about my own
What are your thoughts?
BTW, this isn't a troll post or anything like that. I'm writing an article for my University's magazine on this topic, as it sems relevant considering how many Japanophiles go there. I need some comment or opposing views.