View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

09-27-2009, 04:29 AM

I dislike the word 'japanophile'. It's irrational to blindly love everything Japanese, disregarding the fact that there are good AND bad things in Japan, as well as any other country. Similarly, I find it irrational to suddenly dislike everything about Japan because of something that occurred 70 years ago. You've basically jumped from one extreme end of the spectrum to the other end.

Yes, there have been numerous attempts at whitewashing Japanese history in textbooks. Some things Japan has apologized for, other things they haven't. The only people who are trying to downplay this stuff are a small group of old right-wing fogeys. The general populace in Japan is aware Japan did bad things in the past, and they don't want to revisit those things anymore than anyone else does. Anyone even old enough at the time to have been in charge of Unit 731 are likely passed away by now. Bleak as it was, it's old history now.

Quote:
It sickens me that Japan escaped a fitting punishment for its crimes at the end of the second World War.
I hope you're aware that it was the Allies who exonerated the Japanese imperial family after World War II. Allied war trials against the Japanese were comparatively a lot more lenient than they were against the Germans. In fact, everyone involved with Unit 731 was pardoned by MacArthur in exchange for the scientific information gathered there.

郷に入っては郷に従え

Last edited by Hatredcopter : 09-27-2009 at 04:34 AM.