(#12 (permalink))
Old
DJnohara (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-27-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertherose25 View Post
Every country has its ups and downs.
Exactly, no country is perfect because people run them and no person is perfect.
We can only work hard to improve.

By the way when I was in Japan my friends and I didn't encounter any prejudice. The people I met were nice and polite.
I've been told (by one of my professors with experience in Japan) that in some country-side parts of Japan where people have either never seen or rarely see any foreigners thats where more so mistrust and misunderstandings exist rather than hatred. For example if you speak perfect Japanese they'll pretend they can't understand.
In the cities at this point the stereotype that Japanese won't sit next to foreigners on the trains has become seemly outdated. I sat next to Japanese on the trains and wasn't avoided. But I noticed they would avoid people in my group who were either loud or some how disruptive on the trains.

Here in the U.S there a lot of diversity but its still about 80% White or European decent (although that number is shrinking every year).
So I think some people may feel intimidated to be in Japan because they're worried about being a minority.

I think before people want to make generalizations about each other they should ask themselves "How many people do I know from this country and culture"?