Koir (Offline)
Meow.

09-28-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could you correct my English?

"Yokozuna"

Yokozuna is in the highest position in the sumo world. Yokozuna Asashoryu won in the Akibasho(Autumn Tournament). He displayed a sign of pleasure with his fists in the air when he won the last match. This kind of behavior is a problem in the eyes of the Yokozuna Deliberation Council.
They say that Yokozuna should not behave like that. I agree with them. I believe a Japanese sumo wrestler would not do that. Asashoryu is from Mongolia, so he does not have Japanese feelings or sensitivity.
I used to do Karate, and I had never behaved like that when I won. Showing your pleasure is rude when you win a Japanese traditional match. If he was a soccer player, there would not have been any problems.
However, some people approve of his behavior. They say Asashoryu is exciting, and that we need to accept foreign manners when non-Japanese are involved. These days, judoists display their pleasure when they win in the Olympics or similar matches, and there are many foreign judoists in the world.
Should we change our culture? I don’t think so, but I need to accept the possibility. Still, I don't like seeing people showing their pleasure when they win in Japanese traditional matches.
Do you understand what I feel?

Sumo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Asashōryū Akinori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Made some revisions, Yuri. Not much needed to be done actually, beyond some minor word changes. Not sure if "judoist" is the correct word to use to describe a person who practices the art of judo, so I left it in.

As for sports celebrations, I find nothing wrong with most of them. As I'm a Canadian, I grew up watching celebrations hockey players did after scoring goals. Most of the time it's just a raised stick by the player followed by a group congratulation before the play starts again. It's a good release of energy after being successful in playing a game properly.

On the other hand, celebrations can be *too* ridiculous. I don't like how elaborate and choreographed end-zone celebrations are in the National Football League. Sure, the player just scored but we don't need him dancing around like he's on stage at a music concert.

You're quite correct in your thinking of the new Yokozuna's celebration. He came from a different background compared to the sport he's playing, so his way of expressing himself is not traditional. In a way, this could motivate the more traditional Japanese-born sumo wrestlers to train harder so they can triumph over him and have a more dignified reaction when they win.

Good work, Yuri!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"

Last edited by Koir : 09-28-2009 at 10:20 PM.