View Single Post
(#390 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Made some revisions, Yuri. Not much needed to be done actually, beyond some minor word changes. Not sure if "judoist" is the correct word to use to describe a person who practices the art of judo, so I left it in.
Koir, thanks!
An online dictionary says it’s “judoist”.
I don’t want to say” judo player” because judo is not a sport. It’s a martial art.
I think I could say “a fighter”. Martial arts were originally created for the purpose of making war. But the word sounds like a fighter jet.

Quote:
As for sports celebrations, I find nothing wrong with most of them. As I'm a Canadian, I grew up watching celebrations hockey players did after scoring goals. Most of the time it's just a raised stick by the player followed by a group congratulation before the play starts again. It's a good release of energy after being successful in playing a game properly.
I don’t find anything wrong when people celebrate playing sports.
Sumo is one of historical shrine rituals. I don’t like seeing people celebrate when they do Sumo and martial arts.

Quote:
On the other hand, celebrations can be *too* ridiculous. I don't like how elaborate and choreographed end-zone celebrations are in the National Football League. Sure, the player just scored but we don't need him dancing around like he's on stage at a music concert.
I have seen them dancing thinking that’s your culture and parts of the games. I have thought sports games are a kind of shows and the audience enjoy celebrating with the players.

Quote:
You're quite correct in your thinking of the new Yokozuna's celebration. He came from a different background compared to the sport he's playing, so his way of expressing himself is not traditional.
Thanks for understanding as always!

Quote:
In a way, this could motivate the more traditional Japanese-born sumo wrestlers to train harder so they can triumph over him and have a more dignified reaction when they win.
Unfortunately, most Japanese-born sumo wrestlers are smaller than wrestlers from foreign countries. I don’t know why, but Japanese people are small. Many strong sumo wrestlers are not Japanese now. How frustrating!

Koir, thanks again.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP