View Single Post
(#117 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-29-2009, 10:26 PM

Right here's the thing. I've been trying to sort out my life plan and one path I'm really interested in taking is trying out teaching in Japan. English of course. Here are the reasons.

1: I've been wanting to choose teaching as a career path for years now as I get great joy from helping other people understand things.

2: Since I've been studying the Japanese language and reading into its culture for a while now I thought that Japan would be a great life experience to try out and could tie in well with my wishes to teach.

3: I enjoy language which is why teaching a foreign language (well to the students it is, I'm talking about my mother tongue, English).

Unfortunately I spent 3 years at college doing a course which said that it would give me a certain amount of UCAS points (these are used in England as a measure of achievement) but then it turned out when they gave me the qualification that it only counted as an equivalent (which means nothing in reality). This was extremely annoying as it disallowed me from getting to university. They said they didn't think the course I did (Music) was academic even though I had to a dissertation of multiple thousands of words on an area of musical history and I worked hard and got good grades. Meaning I have a few options, I am asking here because don't know the validity of any options.

1: To save up enough to attend a language institute in Japan and keep studying until I achieve JLPT Level 1.

2: To do the same as the above but also take a course in teaching English as a foreign language for a year as well.

3: To do another college course to get my into the 4 year course at university. This obviously could take maybe 7 years since college term has just started. This is annoying because I went to the college opening evening for a course but they told me all the places had already been filled as they do it early for that course for some reason.

4: To do the first idea and then apply for a college in Japan. Is this even possible for me?

Obviously the annoying thing for me here is that I spent 3 years doing a course that didn't count for what it was supposed to even with my good grades (and I got awards at the end of it for 'Outstanding Achievement' for my year and the 'Guitarist Of Your Year' award). Obviously outstanding achievement awards also seem to matter none in showing my dedication. I am also 20 years old already.

This is also a worry as if it takes me until I'm 27 to reach my goal I am worried about other things important in my life becoming out of reach like romance. This is not an interest that has anything to with Japan, it's just an important part of my life plan wherever I may go and try to avoid if I would be going abroad for some time.

Can anyone give me advice on my best course of action given my current situation? I mean I don't even know if a British degree is worth anything in Japan.

Thanks in advance for any help.