(#5 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
09-30-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Eight seconds or under is OK for free use (or maybe it is 13). I am sure when TV shows use non-Japanese songs for themesongs, etc. they do have to pay.

And you would be surprised the volume of Japanese TV that is seen outside of Japan. Heck, I get "TV Japan" in my house, which has 24 programming of Japanese TV.

And radio stations do pay rights to play music...they just pay to a single body that then distributes to individual artists. This is why radio stations submit playlists to that body so they can figure out how much goes to each artist. This is partially why one hit song can keep an artist above water for a life time.

MMM you got it right (as usual). When copyrighted music over the sampling limit is broadcast anywhere in the world that the big guys who oversee copyrights for musicians (ACSCAP, BMI, etc. ) are sampling, and the broadcasters pay up. Actually music stations have to send in their programming logs. Then the holders of the copyrights are sent their checks. Depending on the size of the check, the payment is sent monthly, quarterly or annually. And no matter what small pittance it may be the check is mailed. I used to get a royalty via ASCAP of less than $5 annually. It was an error because someone reported the song title incorrectly and it took a while to straighten out. I am sure ASCAP spent more money trying to correct the error than either of us ever received for the rights.

But if the musician agrees to "mechanical rights" you can perform the work live anywhere without financial penalties. (BTW do not even attempt to get mechanical rights or anyother for John Denver's work - the copyright holders are notoriusly nasty.)

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.