(#5 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
10-01-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
What bugs me more is all the packaging you get. I bought a big packet of cookies from the supa that was about... the size of my head (bad week). Inside the outer pack was a plastic tray, then smaller plastic wrappers, in which there were cookies. Which were less than half the size of my palm and ALL individually wrapped AGAIN! so to get to one cookie you had to shift 4 layers of plastic out the way! That's insane!

I used to get funny looks as well, when I said I didn't need bags. Or disposable chopsticks. Well, they were a bit less fussed by the chopsticks, but at the conbini they used to automatically shove them in the bag without asking, and I'd have to pick them out and hand them back.
Yeah, wrapping things is a huge part of Japanese culture. Just look at the traditional clothing. Kimonos are nothing but layers, wrapped within one another, wrapping the person. Same goes with packaging (the individually-wrapped cookies piss me off too), but you gotta admit that Japan has the best package design in the world!

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。