(#462 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-28-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
I don’t understand the difference between “apprehend/apprehension” and “comprehend/comprehension”.
My English-Japanese dictionary says that “both apprehension and comprehension mean understanding”, and my English-English dictionary says “If you apprehend something, you understand it”, and “If you can not comprehend something, you cannot understand it.

u!
'Apprehend' and 'Comprehend' are verbs and 'Apprehension' and 'Comprehension' are nouns. As Doug said, whilst almost 'comprehend/comprehension' always means 'to understand', 'apprehend/ apprehension' has several different meanings. It comes from a French word, meaning 'to grasp/grab'. The uses are:
Apprehend/ Apprehension-> 'to capture' / 'the capture' (which Doug has explained)

Apprehension -> to anticipate something with worry or fear. Often used as 'apprehensive' as in "I am apprehensive about this exam" Very rarely "apprehend" is used in this context; we tend to say "I have apprehensions about this exam" or "This exam has made me sick with apprehension".

Apprehend/ Apprehension-> 'I understand/ I have an understanding'
This is an old use, and it's not something you hear much now. However, it is not incorrect. For example, Shakespeare wrote about mankind :"in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like a god!" Here it means "men act like angels and can understand (something) like gods". Other examples would be "I have apprehended the truth!".

The ~difference~ between the two is very slight when they mean 'understand'. Firstly the tone is different; 'apprehend' sounds slightly more archaic. Secondly, think on the meaning "to grasp". When you 'apprehend' something, you have come to quite a sudden understanding. "Aha! Now I apprehend the situation!" 'Comprehend' is more gradual, or you already partly understood it. "Yes, I comprehend the situation."

Just for reference 'Comprehend' can also mean 'to include'. It's another old use of the word, but we sometimes still use it, as in "I have written a comprehensive report". In this context "Comprehensive report" has nothing to do with how easily or how much the report is understood. It's a statement to say that the writer has included absolutely everything they can on the topic they are reporting about.