Thread: The J-word
View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Esinem (Offline)
New to JF

10-28-2009, 07:11 PM

I apologise if this has been discussed before but I didn't notice it when I searched. I'd be happy if you'd direct me to any previous discussion.

I am in NOT offended by gaijin (qv my OP "as a gaijin (a term that doesn't offend me)" or Brit. I'm a big Japanophile so please don't think I'm trying to merely be contentious or cause any offence. I also respect the forums rules but wish to understand the reason for this rule.

I am in general trying to comprehend the Japanese way of interaction, which in many ways seems to differ from the more blunt Western approach. However, I guess our use of abbreviations in very confusing for outsiders. Example: You'll be called a racist if you shorten Pakistani but not Australian. As was pointed out by ColinHowell, it depends on the historical use. The former was a term of abuse and used in connection with racist attacks in the UK, the latter has not. I just hadn't come across a negative connotation on the J-word, so was curious.

Yes, I am British, although certainly no youngster, so maybe that's why I wasn't aware that J*p is considered offensive. I am interested as to whether this is merely my ignorance of UK usage or whether its offensiveness is geographically determined. It appears from what's been said that it is a term of abuse in the US. Do Japanese people in the UK also feel it is used a racist term here?

It's good to hear that the word is being reclaimed without negative connotations.