View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

10-29-2009, 05:15 AM

The whole thing with classes is that you need to practice outside of class. You will never learn anything without outside practice. Think of your classes as a quick introduction to certain grammar structures and a good time to ask questions about things that have been confusing you. Learning Japanese without classes is a huge and daunting task - so much so that it is hard to find people who know the language but never took classes (not counting people that moved to Japan.)

I would recommend just sticking with your classes and maybe using Tae Kim's Japanese guide to Japanese grammar outside of class. I also make Kanji lists whenever I learn a new Kanji; I just look up words that start or include that Kanji in them and make a big list of words with their readings and meanings. This helps introduce new vocabulary and helps teach the different readings of Kanji. Kanji readings are too hard to just look at 上 and go うえ,かみ,じょ,うわ, etc. (especially when the readings are meaningless unless placed in context)

I do not recommend watching Anime as a means to learning Japanese any more than I would recommend Spongebob to someone learning English. Stick to things like the news or other television shows that you can find on Youtube or other video streaming sites. You can also buy books in Japanese that teach Japanese grammar/Kanji. I have one that teaches the difference between Kanji that have the same meaning or reading but are used in different circumstances - the entire thing is in Japanese.

I'm sure someone will soon post about their wonderful success story of learning Japanese by using Heisig, watching Anime, and never attending classes, but I think my views are shared among most people regarding those subjects.