DougLewis (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to DougLewis
10-30-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi, Doug.
Thank you very much.
Your answers are very good and I was wondering if you would mind if I use them in my own web site to benefit others. I will give you credit of course. If you prefer that I don't, please let me know, I would certainly understand why, if you prefer I did not.

When you say “I have comprehension of the questions”, do you mean you understand what the questioner is asking? What’ the difference among them?:
1 I have comprehension of the questions.
2 I comprehend the questions.
3 I understand the questions.
You are more than welcome to use any of the things I post. The answers reflect the quality of the questions - which are always extremely good.

As Columbine pointed out, to comprehend the question means that the question is understood. It does not mean that the listener has the answer to it.

Generally comprehension refers to understanding the "meaning" of something fully. I will give an example.

The man said, "This is your last chance."

Although I think I know what he means, I do not fully comprehend what the significance of the statement is. It is usually said as a threat, that much I do know.

For me to comprehend fully though, I need more explanation.

It could mean many things.

Usually, it means the person it is said to, has reached the end of having chances and that a negative consequence will be given due to failing something.

So, in this case, I understand the statement but do not fully comprehend the consequence (meaning) of it until more information is provided.

Sometimes examples do not help very much. I hope this helps a little though.

Oh well!
"There is culture, there is language.
One day, there will be common understanding.
With that, comes empathy and compassion"
~DL