View Single Post
(#468 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-30-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post

As Columbine pointed out, to comprehend the question means that the question is understood. It does not mean that the listener has the answer to it.

Generally comprehension refers to understanding the "meaning" of something fully. I will give an example.
Oh yes, Thanks Doug, that's something I forgot to add. "To comprehend" a question is more than just to understand what is being asked. As Doug's example shows, it's to fully understand not only what is being asked, but why you're being asked, the significance of the question and what it means overall. Here's another example:

"Columbine, do you have the blue bag?"
Simple request for a certain bag- yes or no answer. I understand that I'm being asked if I have a blue bag with me.

However, I also know the blue bag has a gun in it. So I understand the significance of the blue bag, instead of a red bag I also have.

I also know that someone was killed using the gun in the blue bag.
So I understand the significance of why someone is looking for it.

I also know I was seen at the time of the murder, so I understand why I am being asked about the blue bag, instead of Mr. Smith.

I am talking to a policeman.
So I understand that my answer has a consequence.

If I say 'yes, i have the bag', I will go to prison. If I say 'no, I only have a red bag', they will arrest Mr. Jones. So I understand what will happen when I answer.

So, because I understand what i'm being asked, why I'M being asked it, the reason for the question, the importance of what I answer, and what will happen when I answer, I comprehend the question. This is where the other meaning of 'comprehend' as 'all included' ties in- all my understandings are included to make a comprehension.

Last edited by Columbine : 10-30-2009 at 11:47 AM.