(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-03-2009, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
No offense, but if people need mnemonics to remember the kana, I have to wonder what they will do when they get into kanji.
Actually, it`s surprisingly hard at first for a lot of people to remember them. I remember it took a bit of concentration to remember which was ち and which was さ back when I first started learning... (I ended up remembering by keeping in mind that the one where the bottom LOOKED like a c was NOT the one that made the Chi sound)
シ and ツ never gave me any trouble at all, but for some reason ソ and ン did - so I just tried to remember ソツ, as they both pointed in the same direction when you write them.

And, well, I never had any particular trouble with kanji.

My son, raised in Japan, totally Japanese language, etc - can`t tell the difference between them yet either and he just guesses most of the time (unless it`s a word that he knows it has to be one of the other.)
I think that people tend to forget what was difficult at first once they get to a certain level. My husband STILL screws up d and b if he is writing and not thinking, so I really don`t think it`s all that odd to have trouble at some point.

Flip through a VOW and you`ll find tons of examples where native Japanese screwed up when writing them too.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.