View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-03-2009, 10:07 AM

Nationalized health care might be the norm in developed countries (except for the US), but I prefer my private coverage in Japan. It covers the same things which the national plan covers, but also includes coverage for accident or loss of life. It also works at any hospital and clinic in Japan, as well as international clinics.

I've visited a few Japanese hospitals, and while some are quite nice, others look like something you would expect to find in the third world. What's more, many hospitals operate on "banker's hours", that is, 9-5, 5 days a week. Emergency hospitals exist, but are often far away, and even if you can get to one, you may find that there is no doctor on duty.

In order to generate extra revenue, Japan wants to force out private insurers and force everyone to pay into the national plan. That's rather understandable, except that my private coverage costs less than the national plan, while providing more services.

The nonsense about paying back premiums is stupid, particularly if you've never been in hospital, or had your treatments paid by your own insurance. It's illogical and unfair, but since it's only foreigners who are affected, who's going to care?