View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

11-04-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post
I am afraid that I do not and more is the pity.

My main concern has been... that the translator has been making nonsense of information or worse... coming across with the wrong intent.
You can replace your concern with certainty. In my own experience, current online translators between Japanese and English are simply not reliable, period.

If you're translating from a language you don't know into one you know, which is my situation going from Japanese to English, you might be able to massage the result into something correct, with the help of other aids such as a Japanese-English dictionary like WWWJDIC, provided that you know enough context to puzzle out a reasonable result. Otherwise, you may only get some gist of what is meant. The more complex the sentence, the more likely the translation is to fail.

Going the other way, you're totally shooting in the dark. Your chances of producing something coherent are pretty low, and for the long, complex sentences you've been using, they're practically nonexistent.

Personally, I'm quite disappointed with the poor quality of Google's Japanese-to-English translation. I realize it's a hard problem, but it seems to me that they could do a much better job than they do currently if they focused some engineering effort on the problem. Right now they often simply fail to translate words that are easy to find on WWWJDIC.