View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-08-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconditePhreak View Post
I realize you can take a noun and turn it into a verb by placing suru at the end, that wasn't my question. Had you not decided to be rude, perhaps you could have answered the question rather than making up your own to answer.
Oh ho, we got someone with fire in his belly! I like you, boy. Chill out, though, homes. Being rude to people here (especially those who help out) will not get you very far.

I wasn't being rude: I was directing you to a link that could clarify your implied first question (i.e., "Am I right about the use of 結婚する?"). You'd be surprised how often people ask simple questions that could be answered by a dictionary lookup. When I link such a person to ALC, the response is often "thanks."

Furthermore, you are not entitled to an answer from anyone. The fact that I answered your implied first question does not give you cause to be angry that I didn't answer your second (explicit) question.

I would suggest you not attack those who are helpers on the board, for your are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. Let's not lose track of the fact that I provided help, you've never contributed to this board, and now you're being rude in return. It's a fine first impression.

Quote:
I understand you can use iru after the te form of a verb to denote something that is ongoing (marriage, for example). My question is, when you're not denoting something that is ongoing, but instead is going to happen, how would that be said?
It sounds like you're asking how to use the future tense. There is no future tense in Japanese that is distinct from the simple present tense. To say something will happen, you use the "simple present" tense (cf. "present progressive and continuous" tenses). You'll notice that I pointed that out in my response to you anyway ("will be" is there). So it turns out I did provide help regarding your explicit question after all! Who woulda thunk?

Example:
I am helping. 手伝っている。
I will help. 手伝う。
I do help. 手伝う。

Example 2:
I am in Texas. テキサスにいる。
I will be in Texas. テキサスにいる。

OK, it's 2am. Yeah, I answered your Q at 2am when I have to be up at 6:30a. Sorry to be so rude, man.