View Single Post
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-21-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Eh, what you do with your food is fine, but I would think this would insult a traditional Sushi-chef (no matter what country you're in)

But on a side note, there is a sushi place in Alaska called "Sushi Gone Wild" -- he serves all sorts of sushi, traditional and his own.

He has something called the "Green Monster": It's spicy tuna, crab, avocado, cream cheese, tempura shrimp, green tea battered and deep fried, topped with sauce and green-tea crunchies!

He also has the "Kamikaze", smoked salmon, apple smoked bacon, cream cheese, avocado, crab, topped with sesame lemon sauce.

He has a unique sushi roll called the "Crunch roll" with quality raw tuna, avocado, cucumber, sweet spicy sesame garlic sauce, and green tea crunchies.

These are read off his delivery menu :-P His food, though insulting to Sushi as you may know it, is completely delicious. What do you guys think?

(The first two listed are not technically sushi, considering it's deep fried)
hmm :/ I'm honestly not sure what to make of that. Personally I loathe avocado and cheese in sushi, so that pretty much wipes out all his inventions for me. Avocado is soap disguised as fruit and cheese makes the rice horribly cloying.

The salmon and bacon I could see going well together, but the flavor of the crab would be obliterated (unless he is a far cleverer cook than I'm giving him credit for) so that just seems a shame to me. Or else he's using cheapo crab and abusing it doesn't matter, so that idea puts me off as well.

The spicy sesame sauce and the green tea batter sound rather good, but not what I'd really want on my sushi roll. I think I'd be willing to try it, but then again, I'll try anything. Stir-fried crab ganglia anyone?. I certainly wouldn't call it sushi though, and I might not try it twice.

In short, FAR too much on one dish for my taste. Sushi is about simplicity made highly refined by being highly technical, but the amount of ingredients in one roll should exceed the number of fingers you have.