(#20 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
11-23-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
I don't care for wasabi much. I'll have it once in a while but it's a strong heat that goes away instantly. When I go to my favorite sushi restaurant around here, I usually skip the wasabi and put hot sauce on sushi, like tabasco but hotter. I also wash it down with sake. Most people I know think that's plain oddball. Anyone else try weird things on sushi?
I don't think its oddball, so much as a sign you may be beginning to lose your sense of taste. I am serious, not being snide. As the tastebuds fade (for many different reasons) people tend to gravitate toward stronger and stronger sensations. Sometimes the loss is temporary, like when numbed by too much alcohol. But it can also be the result of chronic allergies, or the drugs used to treat them. Of course its common with aging, repeated overstimulation, or injury too.

With the excessive pepper and sake, how can you even taste the fish to know whether it is any good? The flavor of most high quality fish would be seriously overpowered by this habit.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.