View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

11-25-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloepp View Post
Hi, I'm new here and just have a few questions... important ones! So any help would be very much appreciated.

Anyway, I've been studying Japanese on my own for a while. I know a decent amount of words, mostly nouns and adjectives, not so many verbs. I have to take a couple of extra classes at my college and wanted to take Japanese. After looking, I found out Japanese 102 is only available this next semester (since Japanese 101 was last semester). I really want to take it, the only problem is I have taken Japanese 101. I figured since I have been studying I might just skip it, so I e-mailed the instructor and asked her if that was possible and a little bit of what I know. She said we could meet and that she would give me some type of test to see where I'm at and if I can skip Japanese 101. So, here's the thing... I'm guessing over all I know more than the average person who has taken Japanese 101 (only) as far as words go, but I also know my learning hasn't been... well-rounded, I guess. I don't know any Kanji and not all of Katakana yet, although I know most of it. Despite that fact I still want to give it a shot. So my question is simply... what else should I know!? I actually have no idea what a Japanese 101 course covers. How many Kanji should I know, and what would help even more, what is the exact Kanji that I need to know? What are the exact words I need to know? I don't have time to get a book, so if anybody knows of any online source that cover a Japanese 101 course it would really help.

With that said, any help / advice is appreciated, but what I really need to know is exactly what is covered, like I've said... and sorry if that sounds picky, but if you just tell me Kanji, for example, studying random Kanji and their meaning probably wont get me far in the week I have to study unless I happen to learn exactly what they teach. Once again, any help would be appreciated!

TLDR;

What material exactly is covered in a Japanese 101 course? What are good, free, online sources?
My first Japanese class, IIRC, covered all of hiragana and katakana, and 10-50 kanji (maybe the numbers, cardinal directions, up, down, left, right, and a handful of colors and a couple animals). We also learned greetings and a few other stock phrases (こんにちは and such), and how to use the polite present form of verbs (ます form). Of course, we also learned vocabulary for things around the house, shopping, and talking about towns, I think.

Actually, to know for sure, grab a copy of Vol. 1 of Yookoso! and look at the first half of the book. We covered the first half in my first Japanese class.

Go here: Classmates
This is the textbook. Just check your knowledge against the first few chapters. There are some quizzes and such. But just email the prof, ask her what textbook they use and how much they cover in the first semester, buy it, and learn what you don't already know.

Last edited by KyleGoetz : 11-25-2009 at 07:12 AM.