View Single Post
(#49 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

12-01-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I wish I could remember the name of the article; sadly I couldn't keep the reader but I read a series of accounts given by minorities living in Japan, such as Koreans and Burakumin, including one guy who wanted to marry his girlfriend and yet hadn't proposed as he was terrified her family would be against it if they found out he was burakumin. Thankfully, I think those accounts were 10 years old or so, and I think thanks to the BLL, things are changing significantly for native minorities in Japan.

The worst racists and stereo-typists are always elderly people though; I used to hear some really bizarre comments from the retirees I coached english conversation.
Brings back memories!

I had a senior class of 12, average age 60-65 at a school in Nara, I also had a Chinese young student and she worked for WACOAL, a Japanese underwear company.

She volunteered teaching Chinese for free, so in return, she attended free English classes. We had some great discussions as I'm sure you can imagine

I brought up the subject of "Sabetsu" discrmination in Japanese.

It made for great English conversation as the class had never talked about it.

the students were very well travelled and spoke great English.

As you, I found the worst racists to be the old guys.. This was some time back and as you say, things are probably different now..

With the latest generation...

I guess as a white Caucasian, it didn't affect me as much as other's

Cheers - Oz