Thread: Japanese Only!
View Single Post
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-02-2009, 12:29 AM

Debito prides himself on hunting down "discrimination". LOOKING for it constantly, and travelling around Japan to make a huge deal out of the smallest issues.
Are there problems in Japan? Yes. But having a sign up on a pay 100,000yen for a chance to grope shop is hardly worth wasting breath on. (Especially when it seems to be pretty common for foreign guys to try to get out of paying by citing ignorance of the prices or go crazy breaking the rules.)

If you search for discrimination, I`m sure you`ll be able to find it. But I`m almost 100% certain if you search for discrimination in your home country, and interpret anything negative toward you as being based on some sort of racism... There will be plenty to find. If you expect to be discriminated against, you will believe you are - regardless of the reality.

I have honestly been here 10 years, and the worst "discrimination" I experience is the common assumption that I probably don`t speak Japanese. (Resulting in attempts to communicate in English, or slow clear Japanese.)

But it`s very hard to blame anyone for that as it seems that the great majority of foreigners in Japan really CAN`T speak Japanese, regardless of whether they`re tourists or long term residents. (Nothing offensive intended, but just take a look around on here. We have users who were in Japan 5+ years who can`t manage even elementary level conversation...) Foreigners in Japan who CAN speak Japanese well are an extreme minority. I get much much more discrimination from other foreigners in Japan for that ability than I have ever gotten from any Japanese national.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 12-02-2009 at 12:32 AM.