View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-04-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneH View Post
Sorry I wasn't very clear in my previous post. What I mean to say was to have one set of cards to learn meaning and another set (kanji I know the meaning of) for learning reading. After reading other posts here, though, I can see this really won't work as I won't retain the readings on their own as it is important to understand context.

I do have one question though. Apologies if this is really stupid but if I am faced with, for example, 上がる how do I know if this is 'あがる or のぼがる? Now maybe のぼがる doesn't exist, but that's not my point. What I really want to know is, if I am faced with this word for the first time are there are some cues which determine the reading/pronunication? Another book I've just started using is 'Kanji in Mangaland'. It's a nice book and whilst I can read the kanji I think it's because I know the word rather than figuring out which reading to apply and when. So is that it. Do I have to know the word(the kana) before I can figure out the reading? I'd imagine if it was in a certain context I may be able to figure it out, but what if it stands alone?
I know for a fact you can create a set of cards in Anki that is kanji, meaning, and pronunciation/reading. You can configure it to give you kanji<->meaning and kanji<->reading cards, and you only have to make half the cards your method requires!