View Single Post
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-04-2009, 07:49 PM

Hello everyone. Since the end of October, I've been in New York working on obtaining my CELTA from the University of Cambridge through St. John's University. Unfortunately, I had to quit earlier this week when I had about three weeks left and had to return to Virginia this past Tuesday. My feelings on having to quit are mixed due to the circumstances that led up to it.

My second week in New York, I started to develop breathing problems and started having shortness of breath. It was gradually getting worse as the days went on and I figured it was because of the family I was staying with. They were heavy smokers and I didn't smoke and didn't grow up around it. My first week, I had no problems what-so-ever. Last Monday, I was so messed up and couldn't catch my breath and had to go to the ER. I went in November 23 and didn't get out until December 1, as I, apparently, had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot) and could've died if I'd waited any longer to see someone about it. I had multiple blood clots in the lungs. That doesn't sound good, right?

I hate the fact I had to quit because of that, even though the school was understandable and said they would try to help me if I wanted to try it again since the circumstance was unavoidable. Now, as you know, I really would like to "live" in Japan someday, even if it's for only a year or two and have always been interested in teaching. When applying for work in Japan, is it common for them to check medical records extensively? I personally hate the fact that the PE thing would be on there now. If an employer saw that, wouldn't he/she think, "Oh my god...that person is definitely a liability." I'm also a diabetic. Would that look bad too? It's worse enough that I feel that I'm overlooked here for that reason, but would hate for it to apply to overseas stuff too.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 12-04-2009 at 07:53 PM.