(#504 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-06-2009, 06:38 AM

Hi.
Could you correct my English?

“When will you have fun?”

I used to go to an English conversation school. One of the teacher started Karate, and the style was as the same as I used to learn. I knew all coaches he told me about.
He said he would appear in a Karatetournament, but unfortunately, I didn’t manage to go to see the matches. So the next day, I asked him how it was.
His story was that one of his coaches told him to decline the entree because of the numbers of the fighters. I don’t know the details. Anyway, he was not able to fight in the tournament.
What I was surprised was his words; “They should change the system of the tournament. They now choose the opponents by lot, so sometimes beginners have to fight against advanced-levels. If beginners fight between beginners, they will have much fun. They can expect themselves to win”
I was astonished. “They will have much FUN?”
Indeed, in the first-round, most beginners fight against betters and lose.
However, nobody had ever thought as he did. Japanese people think if you want to win, you need to become strong. It would take about three or four years, and it’s not surprising. Try hard! I may add that nobody had ever said they had fun or wanted to have fun in the Karate school. They only want to be strong.
Now I know this seems to be a Japanese way to think, and foreign people wouldn’t agree.
Still, Karate is not a sport. I can’t call Karate fighters “players”. Am I too serious?

Thank you.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP