View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-13-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
The other day, I was walking around in the mall with a couple of my friends when we saw a group of teenage girls. Their skirts were obscenely short. To the point where we literally saw a buttcheek. These girls were dressed in school uniform, so they must've been junior high/high school.

One of my friends said something like, "Now, if someone were to touch her, she'd be upset. If someone were to molest her on the train, she would get angry. But honestly, look at the way she's dressed - she has it coming."

I didn't say anything, but I really disagree with this idea. Sure, the girl was dressed pretty inappropriately - but a person's body should be their own. A person should be able to walk down the street naked without having to worry about their body becoming someone elses. Does the amount of clothes a person wears really declare that their body is up for grabs (no pun intended)?

And if that's the case, then for every culture, it's case by case. There are cultures where a woman must cover herself from head to foot, otherwise she is considered too tempting - and if she's attacked, it's her fault, because she was the woman. Because she was the woman, she had it coming. In many cases, it's resulted in the rape and death of said woman.

What do you guys think? If you see a woman walking down the street in a mini-skirt and a halter-top, and she's attacked, do you think, "She had it coming"?
No. I can definitely say girls dress provocatively in Japan,
but they're not telling everyone 'Hey, come molest me!'.
Everyone has their own style. Just because you wear short shirts doesn't put you in the same league as women that work in strip clubs.

[<--Nan's heart!]