(#65 (permalink))
Old
Excessum (Offline)
Way too serious

Send a message via MSN to Excessum Send a message via Skype™ to Excessum
12-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post

I tried out EVE, it was interesting and all, and it seems that it has a really good mid game and end game content, yet getting passed the first few hours killed me. The combat (if any) seemed to be very slow, and dull.

Anyone played Rome Total War out there? I'm thinking of a game which requires me to use the terrain, and the different strategies to win in battle. Since I'm REALLY into strategy. Mass strategy.
Yeah, the combat at the beginning is very slow paced, since you need to learn to take a lot of things in-to consideration. Yet shooting NPCs is nothing like going against a living-breathing opponent who wants to win just as much as you do and you need to pull out all of the aces from your sleeve to overcome him (or them), plus the fact that you do loose your ship when you die (apart from other consequences) adds a lot more spice to the meal. I remember the 1st couple of times when I met low-sec pirates... I never expected to get such a adrenaline rush from a game, like I did back then. And even now, when I do know my way around the game, facing an opponent of your own (or especially a higher) calibre, gives me the same adrenaline kick.
The problem is, however, that you reach the point of when you are able to pvp with confidence in yourself only after 3-4 months (if you know what you're doing) and people generally won't be looking at you as a potential wingman to fly with in gangs/fleets if you haven't hit the 3-4million SP threshold.
So yeah, EVE is totally backwards. It won't offer you anything great at the beginning, but if you have the determination to reach the goals you set for yourself (becoming a good pvp pilot, for instance), the game is very rewarding. That's how the sandbox works =)
Anyways... either you love it or hate it. I can't, nor I will try to convince you or anyone else, since the game does require you to be able to learn it for yourself. In short - it's not world of warcraft.

As for strategies - Have your tried Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War? Or its sequel?
For mass strategies - Supreme commander is awesome.