Thread: UK - HK - Tokyo
View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
BritGirl (Offline)
New to JF

UK - HK - Tokyo - 12-19-2009, 07:29 AM

We are a British couple who are currently living in central Hong Kong and have been asked if we would consider moving to Tokyo for my husband's job. I have been to Tokyo many times - maybe 9 or 10 and always love my trips. I have a few questions though and wondered if anyone can help.
My husband will work near Imperial Palace, where would be a good place to start looking for somewhere to live so he doesn't have a long commute to the office. We don't have children so school is not an issue. We would need about 1600-2000 sq ft living space. what sort of budget will we need for that. We currently pay around a mil yen for our place here in HK but have 3000 sq ft. are housing costs similar ??
Are there any specific areas with expat communities ??

Realistically if we lived near Imp Palace would I need a car ?? The trains are really good even for getting outside Tokyo...... Do the grocery stores deliver ?? Or online shopping for heavy items bottles water etc If i decided no to get a car??
We will get full medical cover but are there any other things we should be thinking about when we start negotiating the 'package'. Is it normal for the company to cover the cost of Japanese lessons ??

I am sure there will be loads more questions as I am trolling through the forum but any help with these would be greatly appreciated .