View Single Post
(#150 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-19-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsDaffy View Post
because that last post of your makes look so cool, and in no way petty,sad or pathetic
You know that expression about glasshouses?

You; Kew gardens; trebuchet.

Just sayin'~

But to bring this back on topic, yes, I think there is a proper way to eat something. Certainly there is a proper way to serve something. I'd be really disappointed in a restaurant if they served my dinner with the wrong cutlery and downright peeved if my red wine turned up over ice in a hi-ball. Most things are served in a way that improves the taste or else makes the consumption easier, so it only make sense to use those ways.

Does culture matter in all this? Certainly. It's not about kowtowing to someone else's culture, nor about asserting your own, it's about showing manners and a little sensitivity to your public surroundings. If I took a friend to a nice english place and they insisted on their dinner being served on a tray they could have on their lap and ate with their fingers, I'd be mortified. That's fine if you're at home or a fast food joint, but not in that kind of restaurant. Sticking your chopsticks upright in your rice in a japanese restaurant amounts to the same thing as far as I'm concerned. It's gauche.

EDIT: Might just be me MMM, but I can't see the video. Just a big white blank.