View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-27-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuuin View Post
Hello. I was wondering if i could get some help with the name Kim.

I would like to get a tattoo of it on my arm and i dont want it to be some bullshit like some people get.

I found something that i like but im not 100% certain its the correct kanji.

Kanji Name | Kim

Thats pretty much just what i want confirmed.

Thanks in advance.
Is it a surname or a forename? Is it a Korean or Western 'Kim'? Because that might affect what characters you'd use to make it legible and sensible. If it's 'Kim' as a western first name, for example, you'd have to use the characters キム or else it's like writing 'Andrew' as 'Andrea'. The cultural difference mucks it up.
The most obvious Korean/Japanese kanji versions seem to be 金 or 金武. I would recommend 金武 as being the better of the two as a tattoo, because 金 by itself can also just mean 'money' and would confuse the meaning of it as representing a name, but these both are surnames (family names) and not forenames (personal names). I searched a couple of japanese name sites for you, but 'Kim' does not seem to exist as a forename in Japanese.

So basically, the link you posted to me looks like obscure rubbish. It's Ok, but no one is going to read it and go "Ah, yes, 'Kim'." They will read it and think "'rejoice dream'? what?"