View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-27-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmarisa View Post
This reminds me very much of a friend of mine at work who wanted the Initials of his close friends on his arm after he had some trauma and decided this was the best way to put something important to him into a permanant statement.

After explaining Japanese doesn't really do initials, he didn't understand.. he is the sort of Japanesespeaker who approaches the languages with a few anime and video game catch phrases with no idea how the grammar or alphabets work in practise, and ended up asking another friend who suggested he got them in katakana and wrote it out for him.

Now saying he wanted the initials A.S.C.A.K (I cannot remember the exact ones)
his arm now reads in katakana

ア.サ.カ.ア.カ

and everytime I see him I forget and ask what "asscack" or "asakaaka" is, and he doesn't know what I am on about then I remember why.

I don't understand why people would want Japanese tattoos when they don't understand Japanese or even really the basics of how the language works.

My condolances for your loss O.P, but as someone else suggested try think of something more relevant and IMHO also don't rush into a tattoo as a backlash gut reaction to the hurt you are feeling.
This is absolutely the best explanation and response I've ever seen. Do you mind if I start using something similar, but replacing "my friend" with "I know a guy whose friend"?

Edit Woah, I rolled over 1,000 posts.