(#10 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
12-29-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiyuu View Post
Hi! I'm new to JF, obviously...But I decided to join, and this shall be my first question to you, er, veterans out there.

^-^;

I'm fourteen now, and I am thinking of working my way into the Lolita fashion by the time I'm sixteen. Would that be a good time to start, or is it too early...?
And, as I was contemplating my decisions, I started thinking: is there an age when one should stop being involved in the lolita lifestyle/fashion? I imagine that there aren't 50-year old lolita men/women bouncing around.

So, is there an age cap? Thirty? Fourty? Just curious, is all~
14 seems like a good time for experimentation. It not like you have a career to worry about yet or a fiance/husband to judge you. Parents are often afflicted by the choices in attire of their teenage offspring, so that's a given.

And working your way into a style, whether for fun or some sort of personal statement is a good way to manage the expenditures, and more importantly adapt the style to your own specific personality and preferences. Being a total copy of something in a picture is less creative and expressive than assembling a look piece by piece as you find what you like.

As for too old - now that hits home here. On one hand, yes, there is a point where you are too old for some styles - especially something like Lolita that specifically references an age range that you obviously don't fit at 50 (or more LOL). On the other, if it is just for fun and it is in a controlled environment (less judgemental than public), it can't hurt if you want to try an pull it off. In my case, it would probably look like some horror flick if I were to dress up a la Lolita. But lace, ruffles, and flounce didn't look well on me at age 8 either. I used to wear lots of leather and PVC, but these days I can't carry off the look quite the same. Its a matter of taste and good judgement. So I wear it at events and parties where others my age do also, but I don't go to bars dressed that way anymore. It would look ridiculous.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.