View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sahaqiel (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via ICQ to Sahaqiel Send a message via MSN to Sahaqiel
I'm playing Mother in Japanese, and I'll need help. - 12-31-2009, 02:27 AM

One day I took interest in Mother, or as it's known in the US, Earthbound. I decided to play it in Japanese. I know my kana, and a bunch of basic grammar, and since this game is from a simpler time where kanji would be indiscernible in such small text, it primarily uses katakana/hiragana. I thought this would be a pretty good idea, since I learned how to read well in English by playing GBC games. I can't exactly order Japanese children's stories, due to my pride and wallet.

Problem is, my vocabulary is a bit limited and I have to rely on a dictionary, and I have to stop for, sometimes, half an hour at a time to translate what I'm looking at, which is fine too, 'cause no matter what, I'm learning some vocabulary and whatnot. But I need help with some translations, because some of the words are conjugated in ways I haven't studied yet. Sometimes it's hard to tell where one word begins or ends since it's all in hiragana. So if you guys don't mind, instead of making a bunch of help threads for bits and pieces of words or grammatical structure, I'll just post in this thread whenever I run into difficulty.

Current troubles with unfamiliarity:

Why my mother began her sentence with "Anatatte" rather than "anata".
What "Omattetayori" means. I don't know where the word begins or ends, etc., and I don't think the yori is comparative.

Things I would like confirmation about:
Yuukan apparently means bravery or the like, so saying "yuukanna" would make it into an adjective, right?

Thanks.
I hope this isn't too much trouble/against any rules of some sort.
Sahaqiel

SALUTE YOUR SOLUTION, NOW

SALUTE YOUR SOLUTION