View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
SceptileMaster (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-01-2010, 02:16 AM

First before you can get anything from more advanced reading materials (in other words material written for Japanese people) you need at least an elementary study of the language. This is because you could indeed write out 40,000 sentences memorize them and your mind would chain the grammar together (like in ajatt) but who's to say that you going to pick up differences in politeness levels in things like that (also, unfortunately things don't translate literally into English from Japanese). Also, that's a lot of sentences. Unfortunately there is no easy way, you're just going to have to get study hard to learn a language.

Reading is indeed a good way of remembering Kanji though as learning in context is always a good idea. Let me put it like this. If I'm watching a Japanese drama/film/cartoon or whatever it still isn't a fantastic source for me to pick up stuff from, however the more Japanese I learn, the better a resource it becomes. When I first started learning the language I got nothing apart from an idea of pronunciation (which is a good thing though) from watching these. I didn't get any idea of vocabulary and grammar in context. However now if I'm watching them, it's still not too good a resource but it's getting better all the time and I'm starting to get an idea of vocabulary and grammar in context. However there are so many conjugations I don't know (and so many that don't translate literally into the same meaning in English) that I can currently only get so much from them. This is why I think an elementary understanding would make reading and listening materials a lot more useful.

Go ahead and try it but you’re going to have to have patience, a good grammar dictionary, a good kanji dictionary (to help with stroke orders and meanings which you can't always get from the readings) and a good Japanese dictionary with example sentences for context. I'm sure you'd indeed learn but you're bound to pick up some bad habits and real people don't talk like people in manga.