(#4 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
01-07-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentalarc View Post
I tend to prefer nigri and gunkan. I don't like the complex rolls, (California roll, Spider Roll, Philadelphia roll, Firecracker roll, etc) because. . .well, the tastes just seem to overpower each other, I can't taste the "main" ingredient. Also, a lot of them list three things I like an one I don't. I don't know, it just seems like a lot of the time, the rolls are just one thing away from sounding good.
YES! Good thinking and sounds like my thinking most of the time. Watch out, the vast majority of Americans eating sushi disagree with this approach - but that is their loss.

I will second Columbine's recommendation for Hamachi. It's flavor is mild and when at its best the texture and slight sweetness is my favorite. Saba is good too, if you are in a good restaurant, but it can vary in more mediocre places.

MMM's suggestion works well with nigiri, if you have paper napkins. What can work even better, if you are at the sushi bar rather than a table and have someone nearby who is a novice and sampling like you, is to offer it to them.
I lucked into this once and have done it a few times since. I consider it a perk of polite conversation with others at the sushi bar. You don't comment on your opinion of it; just ask if they would like to try it. You get perks for generosity, avoid a second mouthful you dislike and if they actually like it, all the better. I have also been on the receiving end of this scenario and sometimes you make new friends in the process too.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.