Old
ColinHowell (Offline)
JF Regular

01-13-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Individuals who don’t mention this forum’s continued success are helpful to provide for this forum.
??? Is this right???
In the sentence context, "not to mention" is used in a way to bring emphasis to the concept that comes after it (continued success) and link it to the previous concept (reason JapanForum was created). This way, it creates a sense of time for the reader connecting the past to the future.
This is one of those English figures of speech which must be quite confusing for non-native speakers. Saying "... X, not to mention Y" is actually a way of stating that Y applies even more strongly to the subject than X does. Other forms with the same effect are "... X, much less Y", "... X, let alone Y", and "... X, to say nothing of Y".

I think most native English speakers use these expressions automatically to achieve this effect, without thinking about the literal meaning of the words used. Since I never think about it either, answering this question was rather difficult for me.

I found out that these expressions all come from an old technique of rhetoric (called paralipsis), in which the speaker calls attention to something by pretending not to mention it. I knew nothing about the origins of this before looking up these phrases to answer YuriTokoro's puzzlement, so even we experienced English speakers can definitely learn something here.

Last edited by ColinHowell : 01-13-2010 at 08:57 AM.