View Single Post
(#63 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-09-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xYinniex View Post
'Party Girls', please define this term. Are you saying all 'good' women stay at home? And they all desire to be trophy wives, of course *dripping sarcasm.*
No, but the girls who are told by society they are a prize become motivated to become such. It's just common sense.

Quote:
Never heard of prenup 'av ya?
A lot of people would consider that not a true marriage. Some women would be insulted by that. I'm all for it, though. But at the end of the day, it's really quite meaningless if the prenup allows for an clean split without any economic consequences (other than child support, if it applies). Why even get legally married in the first place? Just social pressure and habit, I guess.

Quote:
You're calling them 'fools' because they love someone enough to pledge their life with them, and is this to all men or just the old and the dumb/successful men? be specific!
I'm calling them fools for signing a legal contract that typically gives half their assets away to someone over success-probabilities that are like a minefield. Not to mention the potentially nasty trouble of the legal proceedings.

Quote:
In what way do they lose? you can't apply that to all marriages.
They lose a lot, starting with money. And no, not to all marriages, just to if not most, then many of them. Those odds are not great and the risk looks unnecessary.

Quote:
Marriage is a milestone for most people and perhaps reaffirming their love through contract is one way of showing their love,
"Perhaps" being the key word.

Quote:
do they have to run it by you?
No. When did I say they did?

Quote:
And plus, if you take away one state institution like marriage, you might as well take away housing laws and property law because contracts in your eyes mean nothing.
If you're arguing the economic reasons, that's fine. That's a valid argument. If two people have an economic interest in getting married, it seems like something legitimate to consider. Just don't try to talk about "reaffirming love" or anything of the sort, because that is, realistically, quite meaningless and reeks of social engineering.