yumyumtimtam (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koir View Post
It's quite alright.
thank you

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I call what looks like a miniature oven with an adjustable grill and broiling sheets.
Yes, that's what I meant sorry!
Some Japanese people call it "oven-toaster", but myself, call it just " toaster"...cos I don' t see many vertical toasters around me here in Japan...so... well.... (this is my "excuse")

Many people use vertical ones in your country?

Quote:
The words aren't familiar to me, I admit.
this is a timtam looks like!
http://wkp.fresheye.com/ja/4/40/180px-Tim_tam.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Your english is quite good, actually.
thank you... but I need to be good... cos I teach English here in Japan... but I still make a lot of mistakes...so I really have to be serious about this, but I am too lazy!
Quote:
I'll try and buy some nori soon. I have a brush I keep specially for cooking. It's useful when making pies and getting the pastry to stick together.
oh sounds like you like cooking!
I have a lisence teaching home economics, but I am not good at cooking and I don't really like cooking... Im lucky cos people around me, they are good at it and cook for me!

Hope you like that nori!

Quote:
Tim-tams are those Australian cookies right? I've never tried them, but I know a lot of people like them. I guess you must like tim-tams a lot!
Yes, I liked it too much and I put +14 kg when I was in Australia.
I love Timtams, but my favourite is chotolate&mint biscuits... I can't find any in Japan...

Oh by the way, what's the difference between cookie and biscuit?
Quote:
Maybe if you had described the "toaster" a bit it would have helped; but you weren't to know that 'toaster ovens' and 'toasters' are different in Canada and England. Some words are very interchangeable. Like, we don't have toaster ovens much in the UK, just bread toasters and a 'grill' which is an electric wire that gets red hot (or a gas flame); you put the food in a tray underneath it. But a 'grill' in America normally means a BBQ.
I see.
In Japan, I think...many people have their toaster ovens (In Japanese,Oven-toaster)... I use it for toasting bread of course but also for "もちmochi"

oh, I want to ask you about microwave ovens.
I heard some people call it just "microwave"... do you call it like that or "microwave oven"?
In Japanese we call it 電子レンジ(microwave range).
and it's called レンジ for short. (is "for short" right English?)

Last edited by yumyumtimtam : 02-11-2010 at 01:50 PM.