View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MatthewQueree (Offline)
New to JF

Considering moving to Japan with Wife. - 02-14-2010, 07:05 PM

Hi, first time poster.

For the expats currently, living, working and/or studying abroad in Japan I was wondering to hear your views in immigrating/living in Japan from the United Kingdom.

My wife and I are considering moving to Japan, something I am both excited and nervous about for the obvious reasons including:

Employment
Culture
Lifestyle

My wife and I have been living in the UK for about year and half together and I am currently in the finance business as a Trust administrator, my wife is working as a sushi chef in a local restaurant.

However, my wife misses her friends and family and we have both decided the possibility to move to Japan (even as just a tester). I believe my wife would have no issues gaining employment as she as managerial experience within the fashion/consultant industry in Tokyo, however, my line of work only exists in offshore jurisdictions, Japan not being one of them.

Therefore I have come to terms with the idea of starting over from scratch and just find whatever work may be available.

My level of Japanese is at basic conversation and my reading is competent at Hirigana. I am continuing my studies.

I would be interest to hear your stories and your general opinion in relation to the above and if you have been in a similar position.

all replys appreciated (in context)

Thanks

Matthew