View Single Post
(#16 (permalink))
Old
xzilireight (Offline)
New to JF

02-23-2010, 09:01 PM

School in Japan can be very traumatizing.

As someone who spent 10 years as the only full gainjin in her entire school, I DO NOT recommend it.
Elementary school was ok. I learned the language, reading, writing, speaking, and I became very fluent in the culture. But I experienced a lot of bullying, and did not have a lot of friends because I was the tallest person in my class and I wasn't "part of the group."
Once I moved on the Junior High, things got worse. My Mom sought out the most competitive schools in the area for me, and I couldn't keep up. The ijime continued, and by the time I left Japan to attend High School in the U.S., I was left with a huge identity crisis.

It's taken me years to get over my time in Japan. It was very hard as a child. I didn't choose to go to Japan, and I was left dealing with the consequences of my Mother's decisions.

Also, the Japanese community will make a LOT of sacrifices for your child. The don't like giving "special treatment," but they will give it to you anyway. That can leave you deeply indebted, your child will feel different from the other kids, and it can cause a lot of strained relationships.

All in all, it's a lot to deal with, and I don't think it's a very good idea.