View Single Post
(#22 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
It is a test. You know what they are going to test you on. You know they want you to walk around the car and check the tires and the back of the vehicle before getting in.

You think it is a stupid waste of time and refuse to do it... Even though you know they are watching and know they will be checking to see if you do it.
I never said that I would not do it. Of course I would do it. You do what you have to do to pass. My point is that it is silly and should not be on the test or at least you should not be failed for neglecting to do something that has nothing to do with driving skill or following the rules of the road.

Quote:
If this were stealing valuable test time from the "truly necessary stuff" I would understand being against it. But it doesn`t. They still test you on all the important stuff too, and it is more heavily weighted than any of the preventative stuff.
Really? Because I thought they just straight up fail you for not looking around your car.

Quote:
Tests are not real life. They are tests. The normal flow of getting a license in Japan is driving school then test as "graduation". Think of it as school, not just a random test. I have never taken a test that only tested the "truly necessary stuff". In school, for verifications, etc etc. I`ve had to give fake presentations on things I couldn`t care less about and that would never serve any purpose in real life... But it was a test, so I did them, as it tests the level of effort you put into the course. If all tests were only the truly necessary and important stuff - then you could pick up a page of test points and be ready.
You cannot really compare this to a formal education..All that pointless stuff you did in school improved your overall skill at writing, reading, getting along in the real world, becoming a disciplined adult etc. Taking time out to go through the motions of something like this does not prove anything and is in fact pointless. This is not a skill that one needs to learn because if you have not mastered the art of common sense by the time you are 20, then you probably should never even leave your house. So if looking around your car is so vital to traffic safety here in Japan then it should be a LAW. It is ridiculous to make somebody do something just one time that they will probably never do again, and even if they do look around their car every time they get in they are only avoiding minimal damage to anything at best.

Quote:
Despite that, I STILL feel that it isn`t pointless or silly. You are getting into a car you have never driven, you have never seen before that day... It is common sense to actually look at it and check things before just hopping in and driving away. If you get a rental car, don`t you check to see if there is any damage to it before driving? Don`t you check to see where all the buttons and levers are? That is an important skill, and one that should be tested on inexperienced drivers.
Once again this is all hypothetical common sense stuff that people should do, it is not a skill. Would you think it was ok if there was a test to see if you know how to not jump in front of a train? or if you know how to lock your house before you leave it? Or how about hang up your laundry when it is sunny outside?? Because checking to see if you know how to walk around your car and look at your tires, is pretty much in the same category with this stuff.

Let me give you my theory on the REAL reason something like this on a test. Around where I am from (in my home country) there always seems to be lots of road construction going on, and it just so happens that the fine for speeding around these road construction areas doubles (also the speed limit is usually lowered suddenly and significantly in these areas). Ok that makes sense right, its dangerous to speed and even more dangerous to do so in a construction zone. But yet, 95% of the time the actually construction area.. is probably about 100 meters long where the official "construction zone" is usually about 3 kilometers long for that little 100 meter area. Then another 95% of the time nobody is even out there working on anything. So yes, you guessed it, cops have a field day issuing people tickets in these areas.. why? because of safety??? oh maybe you could BS your way into calling it that, but the real reason is REVENUE.

So I ask myself, isn't it peculiar that they would have such ridiculous tasks compiled with such strict guidelines to allow somebody to pass? and add to that the fact the police department gets all, or at least a cut of the money that people throw into trying to get a drivers license??... All in the name of safety right?? ...haha, yeah they almost got me believing that one..

Last edited by RickOShay : 02-26-2010 at 01:46 AM.