(#592 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

02-26-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi, Koir.
A reason of the confusion is that many Japanese people somehow believe “tea” is “English tea”, and Japanese tea is always said “green tea”.
You also have preconceptions about the meaning of tea? What are your preconceptions?
The first few readings I was thinking "Well, it's all tea. What's the conflict?" Then I started understanding in that situation the flight attendant and you had different ideas of the kind of tea you wanted to order and my understanding improved.

Quote:
I didn’t know Canadian people call “French Fries” “chips”.
So, in Canada, sliced and fried thin potato is “potato chips”, and “French fries” is “chips”?
We say “French fries” “Fried Potato” here.
Essentially, yes. Though lately I have been referring to them as French fries mainly because that is how they are written in restaurant menus. I was a lot younger when the miscommunications happened during the U.S. visit.

Quote:
I think you may have chances to watch American TV programs. Do you? If the people in the TV programs say “French fries”, do you feel it’s odd or unfamiliar?
I do watch American programs on TV once in a while in the rare times I watch television. Unfortunately, the characters are often not in a restaurant setting and ordering from a menu.

Quote:
Please tell me.
What do you say the vegetables behind the meat in the picture below? Are they “garnish”?
I would call the parsley (green leafy sprig) garnish as that's not strictly needed to enjoy the steak entree. The vegetables I would consider a "side dish" that adds to the visual appeal of the meal and give you something other than the steak to taste.

Quote:
‘After I would say "Tea, please", the flight attendant would reply, “Green or English?”’
This sentence sounds like this happened several times, but it happened only once when I got to know that “tea” also means “green tea” and that I should have said “English tea”.
Can “would” mean “it happened only once”?
That was my error. If it happened only once, using the past form for completed action, and your original description is correct.

Quote:
Thanks!
Still! I wish I could have a chat with you in Japanese!!
Maybe one day, Yuri.

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"