View Single Post
(#594 (permalink))
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-27-2010, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Collin explained what i mean black tea is already, however, in England we call a kind of tea from South Africa 'red tea', so to me, Green Tea seems very asian and I think of jasmine tea when I am offered 'chinese tea'.
Hi, Columbine.
I see. You have black tea and red tea. Red one is from South Africa.
Thank you!

Quote:
I would find it odd to be served green tea with english food too, just as it would seem odd to you to be offered milk tea with sushi. But on a flight, it's a bit different isn't it? You get tea offered by itself, and anyway, both types of cuisine are usually available. I don't know if the japanese passengers were given the same types of tea I was, as I wasn't sat near enough to see.
When I fly by an American airline, they serve western food. And they give me green tea when I say “tea”. I haven’t said “green tea”.
I thought that they must have believed Japanese people would always like to drink green tea.

Quote:
Is that a mont blanc on top of a cake? How interesting! I've never seen that before. In the UK you can buy just a slice of cake if you go to a proper bakery, tea room or patisserie, but mostly in supermarkets they just sell the whole cake.
Yes, that’s sweet chestnut paste.
I see. Some patisseries sell sliced pieces of cake, while supermarkets sell the whole ones.

Quote:
I prefer to bake it myself though
That’s cool!
What do you bake?

Quote:
A lot of the very traditional cakes (like christmas cake) aren't baked at all; they're boiled or steamed and are more like a cake-y dumpling. Its also quite common to find cake that's been cooked as a tray-bake so it comes in squares, not slices.
I’m sorry. I can’t imagine any steamed cake in England. I only think of Japanese manjyuu…

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP