View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As I have advised many times, if you are spending more than 5 days in Japan and are in Tokyo, get out of Tokyo.

I like Tokyo, but it is not all of Japan. 5 days is more than enough to see what you want to see. (Actually 3 probably is).

You capitalized the word "food", and I have to say if you want good food in Tokyo you have to be prepared to pay for it. This is not true in other parts of Japan.

If you want good FOOD! go to Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto. Excellent food at a reasonable price. The food culture in Osaka is very different than Tokyo. It is worth the price for the bullet train. You also have the small but very well done Osamu Tezuka museum in Takarazuka (NW of Osaka)
Second what MMM said, Tokyo is NOT Japan, its only a small part of Japan, it does provide a good representation of "modern Japan", which has its own culture, but very much westernized. For a 10 days itinerary, i would say to spend about 5 days in Tokyo (include Yokohama.. I personally felt that Yokohama is a MUST), 4 days in Osaka/Kyoto (can probably make Kobe a 1/2 day side trip), and maybe find a nice onsen resort to relax for a day.