(#12 (permalink))
Old
duo797 (Offline)
異議あり!

Send a message via AIM to duo797
03-15-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokutetsu View Post
I'm sorry, but I also stated in my OP that the computer I'm using doesn't have Japanese scripts on it, and since this isn't my computer I can't install them.

I suppose, though, if it really is so important (which I can see your point) I'll try and find a romaji and kana converter online maybe?
Depending on the OS you're running, nothing needs to be installed. I know that on Vista and Windows 7, the ability to input japanese (and I think chinese) are defaults on the computer, you just have to enable it. I did this for my girlfriend's laptop, no installation whatsoever. With Vista (and I think Windows 7, too) just go to 'Control Panel' then 'Clock, Language, and Region' and go to the Keyboards and languages tab of the window that comes up. Enable japanese, and you're done. In case you don't already know the shortcuts, use alt + shift to switch between the japanese IME and english, and when in the japanese IME, use alt + ` (that is the ~ key but in lower case) to switch between inputting hiragana and letters.

If you can't even add the keyboard, then disregard this, but you don't have to literally install anything. Hell, I doubt any sort of corporate spyware/virus/systems check would bother to notify that you've added the keyboard.