View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Jonas06 (Offline)
New to JF

03-19-2010, 08:26 AM

Thank you both for your help and reassurance.

By the way, how is the poem written formally? That is, are most poems usually written vertically from right to left? And how is each line divided? Wikipedia states that Haiku's are written in a single vertical line. Is this right?

One more thing. I would like to know more about 心 if you would so indulge me, because as a student of languages and philosophy (though my days of Japanese are far gone) I have a hunch that the character conveys more than the English word "mind." Akin to the example you gave, Sashimister, expressions like "put your heart into it" connotes something more than mere intellectualizing but is a more holistic act of mind and body, without the need to differentiate between the two. So would you say that 心 is something more objective, or that it carries with it subjective dimensions of intentions, resolution, passion, etc.?

If there is a direct correlative in Sanskrit or Pali you know of that would also help. But I am also interested in how 心 is used conventionally as well, apart from philosophical contexts, since I am sure the meaning of the word has changed over time; i.e. the same character in Chinese may have a slightly different connotation.

Thanks