View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-24-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lactosetomilk View Post
This may be a stupid question, but im so curious.
Ive been a vegetarian for almost 4 years now, and i really want to stick with it.
But, i also want to make my life in Japan when im out of college.

Is anyone on here a vegetarian and living there?

If so do you think itll be harder, or the same as it is now?
The main question is, do you eat fish at all? If not, you might what to check out the 'visiting Japan with a severe seafood allergy'(there's a search box at the top of the forum) thread as it will cover much the same points. Also try searching 'vegetarian' in the same box; this question's been answered several times before.

If you do eat fish you should be fine. Just perhaps learn the words for types of meat so you know how to avoid them on a menu.

As for living there, well you'll presumably be cooking for yourself which will make things easier, although i'd bank on eating a higher ratio of starchy foods and tofu as fresh fruit n veg is quite expensive and is hard to find sold in bulk. You'd need to get good at knowing when the week-day sales are on to make your yen stretch. Again it boils down to the fish/no fish thing. If you don't eat fish, I'd anticipate it being much more difficult than it currently is for you initially, but if you're a good cook and adaptable with your diet, you should be able to find ways of eating that will suit your compass.

Last edited by Columbine : 03-24-2010 at 09:02 AM.